PoP turns 10: Celebrating the Popular, Practising the Urban
Saturday, 18th November 2017, 10am-6pm
University of East London, Stratford, London, U.K
As part of their ten-year anniversary celebrations, The PoP [Performances of the Popular] Moves committee, in partnership with the CPAD research group at the University of East London, invites you to celebrate our annual conference.
The conference engages with intersections between popular practices and the Urban: the city as a space where culture is created, represented and disputed.
Keynote: Professor Gabriele Klein, University of Hamburg
‘Urban Choreographies. The Power of the Aesthetic’
Download the conference schedule here
Questions considered include:
- What are the risks and opportunities that Urban environments provide for the emergence, spread and survival of popular practices?
- How do notions of hybridity and cultural exchange operate between the Urban and the popular?
- How does cultural memory intersect with popular practice in city environments?
- What are the representations of city and bodies on screen?
Alongside papers, performative papers and roundtables, the programme also includes:
- Society of Dance Research Annual AGM meeting
- Performance by UEL Dance Collective
- Book launch for Prof. Debra Shaw’s ‘Posthuman Urbanism: Mapping Bodies in Contemporary City Space’
- Full schedule to be announced in October
Registration is essential for the conference. Please register via Eventbrite here
SDR members: Free* Students/Unwaged: £20 Full ticket price: £40
University of East London, University Square Stratford, 1 Salway Road, London E15 1NF, United Kingdom
Nearest station: Stratford (Tube, DLR and Mainline train services
There are several hotels within short travelling distance of University of East London: Stratford Hotels
Programming Committee Dr Laura Robinson (2017 Conference Main Organiser),
Dr Clare Parfitt, Dr Melissa Blanco Borelli, Dr Ann R. David, Dr Jo Hall, Ms Celena Monteiro, and Dr. Anamaria Tamayo Duque.
For further information on PoP Moves please see PoP Moves website or visit the PoP Moves Facebook page
Centre for Performing Arts Development (CPAD)
The Centre for Performing Arts Development (CPAD) at the University of East London (UEL) is focused on developing original and innovative research in Performing Arts including Drama, Theatre & Performance Studies, Music, Dance and Creative Writing with a particular emphasis on socially engaged practices, performance philosophy and cultures, practice-based research, digital and interdisciplinary research.
* Please note that if choosing the Society of Dance Research (SDR) ticket option that all ticket holders will need to be signed up members to the society by the end of October 2017. For details on membership to SDR, please visit this link.